Russell Municipal Light Department was founded in 1920 by citizens who had the foresight to believe locally owned and controlled electric service would benefit the Town of Russell. For almost a century, Russell Electric has provided reliable service and low, competitive rates to Russell Village. As one of 40 municipalities in MA, Russell Electric is owned by the community it serves. Therefore, all utility benefits return to the community in the form of lower rates, better service and community enhancements. Russell Electric is an innovative, progressive, service organization dedicated to providing quality service, low rates and bringing affordable, environmentally friendly renewable energy to our community.
The Russell Electric Light Commissioners are elected officials. Utility policy is set by 3 elected Russell residents who serve on the Light Board. The Electric Commissioners oversee operations through the Department Manger and meet monthly in open public meetings. They serve a term of three years.